Cavalier Marching Band
Building a Tradition
THE CAVALIER MARCHING BAND (CMB) was established in the Spring of 2003, thanks to a generous gift from longtime University friends and benefactors Hunter Smith and the late Carl Smith (College ’51). In 2011, the Hunter Smith Band Building opened, thanks again to the generosity of Hunter Smith, providing the CMB with a one-of-a-kind rehearsal space and the many benefits associated with having an indoor facility. Part of the McIntire Department of Music, the CMB has grown to include more than 300 members and is a dynamic presence at every home football game. In addition, the CMB performs at many other sporting events on Grounds. Led by band director Dr. William Pease, the band has established a reputation for high energy, crowd-pleasing performances and musical excellence. The CMB performs a new halftime show for every home football game, entertaining fans with many different musical styles. The band is comprised of brass, woodwinds, the drumline, color guard, and baton twirlers. The CMB provides instruments and equipment for members to use during their tenure in the band. In addition, the band program covers all meal and lodging expenses for home and away football games. No fee is required to participate in the marching band, only a passion for making music and representing the University!
The Cavalier Marching Band also offers many opportunities for student leadership. Student drum majors conduct the band on the field. Section leaders and drill instructors assist the faculty directors in teaching the music and drill. A student support staff helps manage uniforms, equipment, the band library, the office and website. Students also participate in recruiting prospective band members from Virginia and beyond. In addition to leadership experience and valuable life skills, band members find a welcoming community, sharing social as well as musical experiences. Spending as many as 20 hours a week together representing the University and Music Department, they develop lifelong friendships and a deep commitment to UVA and the band.
Marching into the Future
The CMB receives funding from multiple sources including philanthropy to support an annual operating budget of close to $1 million. In order to meet the program’s aspirations for growth and even greater excellence, we have launched a fundraising campaign to grow the endowment and annual support for the CMB. The “Marching into the Future” campaign seeks to build on the generosity of Hunter and Carl Smith and other founding supporters to ensure the success of the band for future generations.
The Cavalier Marching Band Endowment provides financial support for the band in perpetuity. Donors of $10,000 or more to the CMB Endowment will receive annual reports about their investment and the successes of the band. Naming opportunities are available for leadership gifts:
- $25,000 – Marching Cavalier (300+ available)
- $100,000 – Scholarship Fund
- $250,000 to $1 million – Band Section
- $1.5 to $2.5 million – Band Directorships
Annual gifts are put to work in the year in which they are received and have an immediate impact. All annual donors to the band will have their names displayed in the Hunter Smith Band Building, and donors of $2,500 or more will be recognized as members of the University’s Rotunda Society.
How will the gifts be used?
- To build excellence and support deserving students. The CMB will expand its recruiting and scholarship programs, attracting and rewarding students based on merit, service to the band, and instrumentation needs.
- To heighten the educational and musical experience of band members. The CMB will deepen its commitments to professional coaching, world-class visiting artists, and other programs directly affecting students.
- To ensure the success of the band for future generations. The CMB will strengthen its foundation of support for travel, technology, uniforms, instruments, and the many other elements that make the band’s performances great.
For more information on the Marching Into the Future campaign for the Cavalier Marching Band, please contact Erin F. Hall, Assistant Director of Major and Annual Leadership Gifts, at 434-243-9180 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Did you Know?
The Cavalier Marching Band:
- Performs a different halftime show at every home football game and has presented more than 50 unique shows in 8 years
- Performs at men’s and women’s home basketball games and tournaments
- Travels to at least one away game each year, and bowl games
- Is part of the McIntire Department of Music, and includes members of the Wind Ensemble, Concert Band, other department ensembles, and extracurricular a cappella groups
- Includes RAs, TAs, and members of numerous student organizations such as University Guides, Honor Council, and Madison House
- Has student chapters in the National Band Honorary Service Fraternity and Sorority
- Has been recognized for outstanding performance by the UVA 7 Society, Z Society, and VVV
The 300 members of the Cavalier Marching Band come from nearly every school and college at the University.
- 200 in College of Arts & Sciences
- 76 in the School of Engineering & Applied Science
- 7 in the Curry School of Education
- 4 in the School of Architecture
- 6 in the McIntire School of Commerce
- 6 in the School of Nursing