Message From the VP
Dear Alumni, Parents, Students and Friends:
The work of the Division of Student Affairs touches every student who passes through the University. Ask almost any graduate what makes U.Va. special, and he or she invariably will recall the rich, unique undergraduate student experience. Student self-governance, Honor, and evenings on the Lawn are all part of what makes us so proud to be graduates of the University.
Until now, the Division of Student Affairs has had no formal fundraising program, relying instead on occasional gifts from graduates, parents, and friends who understood our critical role in ensuring a broad range of positive student experiences on Grounds. However, if we are to make U.Va. truly “best in class” among peer public and private universities, we need your support. For that reason, we have launched The Campaign for Student Affairs.
Our goals are both ambitious and focused. With your support, we will:
- Create opportunities for hands-on cultivation and testing of leadership skills through targeted leadership training programs, funded student internships and student-initiated research, and summer and January Term activities that change local communities.
- Preserve the unique U.Va. culture of student self-governance by educating incoming students, faculty, and staff in that tradition.
- Create expanded opportunities for every student to participate in championship-caliber club sports and other enriching outdoor activities.
- Support the constantly changing needs of a wide array of student-led organizations that make up the fabric of the U.Va. student experience.
- Make a meaningful impact on student health and wellness and help ensure the rich diversity reflecting the world our students will encounter upon graduation.
We recognize that a challenging, rewarding, and enriching student experience outside of the classroom is critical to the “whole person” education of our students. Our objective is a student experience unlike that available anywhere else in higher education. We ask for your support as we build the next generation of leaders at Mr. Jefferson’s University.
Patricia M. Lampkin
Vice President and Chief Student Affairs Officer