Announced by President Jim Ryan in fall 2022, the Cavalier Fund ensures the best and most inclusive undergraduate residential experience. The Cavalier Fund offers all UVA students access to all of the leadership, service, and student community activities that the University has to offer.
For students who cannot afford direct costs of participation or cannot take time away from work-study requirements (or both), support from the Cavalier Fund can make it possible. Through the Cavalier Fund UVA makes sure that students facing affordability barriers are provided with equal opportunities to engage and develop as citizen leaders.
Students who meet financial guidelines for federal Pell Grants may apply for Cavalier Fund grants to cover opportunities such as travel to a lecture, expenses related to Madison House service opportunities, or membership in registered student organizations.
Gifts to the Cavalier Fund support a number of programs related to the undergraduate student experience. Since its inception, the Cavalier Fund has helped students become involved in events and projects that enhance their college years, such as the following:
- Pursue an externship in architecture
- Participate in the Virginia Women's Chorus
- Purchase of equipment for an independent film project
- Attend a neuroscience conference
- Participate in a fraternity regional leadership conference
- Take part in an annual sorority conference
- Attend a One Love Foundation event in New York City